Thursday, July 01, 2010

Five Minutes of Motivation

I'm suffering from a serious lack of motivation. Maybe it's summer fever. Maybe I need more sleep. Maybe it's both. All I know is I have to force myself to focus these days. I catch myself thinking about what I should be working on rather than actually working on it. I can't think of a situation in which this is a good thing.

Yesterday, a woman in my department shared highlights from a design conference she attended. The event was all
about fostering creativity. Based on my current lackadaisical state, a boost in creativity sounded right on time.

There was one point in particular that gave me hope I could turn thing around:

Schedule breaks in the workday. It's healthy to take a few minutes to walk outside, or talk with a co-worker. The time away from your project can freshen your perspective. I gave this a go today by taking a quick walk outside. I ended up at Macy's, and I bought a new lipstick. (Fresh Watermelon - How perfect!) I'm not sure if this is what she meant, but I certainly felt renewed.

I also took a few minutes to take some pictures. I majored in photography in college, but I don't remember the last time I've done anything more than snap a few pics of my daughter. I only used the camera on my phone, but keeping an eye out for interesting shots somehow made me feel more in tune with things. Here are some of my favorites so far:
















I hope to tell you about the newly focused me soon!

-Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone