Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Second Day Slump

I made it through my first day back to work relatively unscathed, so I was optimistic about today.

I was fooled. If you've ever been sore after a workout, then you know it's even worse the next day. My "back-to-work muscles" are suffering from post-workout fatigue. Here are a few examples:

Computer Eye. Apparently, my eyes developed a certain tolerance for staring at a computer monitor all day. Three months off has reduced that tolerance to all but nil. I spent the day reaching for eye drops and walking away from my computer every 15 minutes.

Brainstorm Burnout. Two one-hour meetings, held back to back, had me longing for my sofa and a MacGyver marathon.

Breast-pump Blues. Pumping three times a day?!?! Need I say more?

When I used to work out, which was a long time ago, the second day after a tough workout was even worse than the first. I hope that's not the case here.