Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Seven and Seven

I knew having Baby #2 would be a challenge, but apparently, I had no idea. I was ready for diaper changes, sore breasts and late nights.

I wasn't ready for the toll my girls' seven-year spread would have on me. The needs of a seven year old often conflict with those of a seven week old. While I'm supposed to be helping with homework or listening to a run-down of the school day, I have to contend with a hungry, crabby, or poopy infant.

Exhaustion doesn't help. The old adage "sleep when the baby sleeps" had to be coined by a person with only one kid. If I took a nap every time the baby did, my oldest would wear dirty clothes to school and be sustained on a diet of Fruit Loops.

I'm getting better. Or at least I hope I am. The first step was for me to accept the imperfections. Superwoman I am not. Right now, the sink is full of dishes, and there is a basket of unfolded laundry in the living room. I'll get to them tomorrow.

It turns out the baby likes to sleep during car rides, so this weekend we'll go out for ice cream. The ride should buy me a tear-free hour, giving me some time with E.

And if I'm lucky, I can catch a nap or two.